Sunday 1 July 2012

Officially, a citizen of the world



        As many of you might know, 2012 was a present to me. I was hired as freelancer journalist in Brazil to help with the production of a special report about my country for the British newspaper The Times. It took the team 4 months of hard work and the result you can see on the edition of 25th of July on The Times, when the report will be published. 
        As the team did a great job, I was offered a position of Project Manager to produce reports in other countries, meaning I would get paid to travel the world. The dream job, many imagine. I am here to say this is for few! Most people would not be able to handle it.
       This job has some peculiarities. The same characteristics that blew me away from the beginning would drive a rigid-minded person totally mad. First of all, it is completely unpredictable. It is a style of life that is unconceivable for many. My father, for example, would not bare it. Then you also cannot choose your destination (I am sent where the company wants me to go).
       Not knowing where one will be tomorrow, not being able to make any plans for the future, being totally absorbed by the company’s needs might sound for many as a complete nightmare. For me, it is just a very practical lesson on how to live today as intensively as if there was no tomorrow. Also it is a great opportunity of getting to know new cultures. And plus, I like surprises of any kind! If they are good, they add a little extra intensity on what is already inherited positive. And if they are bad, you have the chance to extract something good out of it. It can be a lesson, an opportunity for your future, or even a little detail… There is always a treasure hidden on it. This is my philosophy of life!
       The fact is that without intensive surprises and emotions life becomes boring and unappealing. And from now on I am going to live life in the edge. That´s for sure an experience that I feel blessed to have. This offer came across as the perfect opportunity for this moment of my life.
       And just so you know how funny life can be, I had a complete opposite job offer at the same time: I just passed at a very hard test to be a public servant to the Brazilian government. In Brazil, this is the best thing that can happen for many: the salary is good, you have a lot of benefits and you cannot be fired. As I had the choice between stability and new experiences, I chose the second one. Some people, like my Germanic father for example, thought I was completely mad.
       But here is my thought: you are only young once. Why would I seek for stability in the end of my twenties when I have the opportunity to literally gain the world? That is called avoiding life for me! I have no commitments of any kind. This is bound to change in a couple of years, as I am planning to get married and have children. If I don´t take this chance now, I will certainly not be able to do it in the future. It is time to have wings, roots will come later! I have my whole life to settle down.
       I just landed two days ago in Madrid. This is the beginning of my journey. Madrid will be my base.  For my next post, I plan to write about my first experiences in Madrid. Stay tuned and I see you on next Sunday! 

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl, you're totally right! You're young, wild and free :). Enjoy this opportunity, and take whichever experience you can get from it. Good or bad. What doesn't kill you makes you strong...ALWAYS. You know we love you and we are cheering for you. You a good person, excellent professional, and have a smart head on your shoulders. Be the best you can be, and the world will bow to you.
    Cheers.
    Luv* Kizzy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kizzynha, your words just made my day... I wish you and your beautiful family all the best, and hopefully my next project will be in San Francisco, so we can see each other again... :-) send little kevin a hug from auntie Lig!! :-*

      Delete